Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Old Lady Stink Eye

Is it a rule of Relief Societies everywhere that the old ladies think they know everything about child rearing and that they give young mothers (yes I still count myself as a young mother) like me the stink eye? Apparently, I am the worst mother in the world for taking Claire to church today. Every older woman who saw me said some version of the following and not in a nice tone, "What are you doing here......with your baby?" or "Oh, Jessica is here....with her baby!" Claire will be 2 weeks old tomorrow and frankly I wanted to get out of the house and go to church....is that a crime? Today there was one older woman who had been staring at me all through gospel doctrine. She was literally turning around in her seat to shoot crusties in my direction. I was trying not to take it personally and assumed she had to be looking at the people behind me since I don't even know her name but it became clear in Relief Society that she meant every crusty for me. The Relief Society President was talking about the swine flu and how it is going around and that they had information about it on the table. Well, crusty lady raised her hand and said that her daughter had just had a baby and that a cousin had come to visit her who had been exposed to the swine flu and then she turns around in her chair and says to me with the rudest look on her face and says, "so it's out there." Yeah, I'm aware of that, but I've got to live my life and I have two other children that I'm trying to get acclimated and making friends. So sue me! Claire started crying a little after that and I used it as a good excuse to leave Relief Society and go cry in the bathroom. I still have raging hormones and to be honest I'm a little lonely and still adjusting to being here. If you live in my old ward it was a real Anona Piercy moment....I guess there is one in every ward.

6 comments:

Smilin' sunshine said...

I am in FULL support of you! I took Marissa to church when she was 4 days old and got a lot of crap about it. It was Mother's Day for heavens sake and I felt FINE and wanted to go to church, but took A LOT of heat for it.

Swine flu, HYPE is what I say.

Way to go, I am surprised you didn't say something to the lady! Too bad, it would have been funny!

Erin said...

There will always be old ladies like that- in every ward. I just smile and say "Well, I'm sure when you were my age you had a different perspective." It usually shuts them up. I have to remind myself this world is made up of a lot of weird people,and I'm one of them!

Anonymous said...

ohhhhh seriously....ryan and i laugh about no matter where you go there are the same wierdos in every ward, just with different names. don't let that onery lady get to you, i would have done the same thing as you
swine flu, schwine flu

Kathy said...

Wow, what a mean lady! Why can't people mind their own business? Sometimes I wonder if the old "utah mormon" syndrome is true? Dont people realize that being mean and judgmental is what turns people away? I guess they just have nothing else to worry about so they turn their attention on everyone else.

I wish I was in your ward, I'd only send you nice looks!

Jen said...

Do you remember seeing me in Primary to see Morgan give a talk 4 days after Brynnie was born in the peak RSV season and despite the rain and snow? Sometimes you just have to throw caution to the wind and get out of the house! (And, yeah, she got RSV, but we all survived!) You are a fabulous mommy and those lovely old ladies in your ward will figure that out soon enough.

MWood said...

OOOOh Jess I just got on here and checking out blogs and I was reading yours and feel for you girl. So sorry about that old people are so weird and nosey, don't let them get to you.
We would love to get together with you guys. We could come to your house and visit/play for a bit if that would be ok with you. We could do it next week if you guys are available??? Let me know. Miss yah.