This post is about a month late but what do you do? I ended up pulling Gage's tooth on my own per my friend Mandy's instructions. It was super wiggly and I wanted it outta there since his adult tooth was rearing it's white head. She said to get some gauze and the nurse at the dentist office said to twist not pull. My dad used a bandanna. It made a really sickening squeaky sound and he would brace his big hand on my forehead and pull. It hurt and I guarantee that none of my teeth were ready to come. Can you tell I'm holding a grudge? Since my dad always pulled our teeth I assumed that Tim would do the deed but he turned out to be chicken. The gauze did the trick and there wasn't very much bleeding. Gage acted like the brave man he is and didn't make a peep.
Sorry for the bloody picture. Hope you aren't squeamish. That red line is just part of the gauze not blood. I don't know if it is possible but the pulling of his tooth marked a turning point in his personality. It was like when I pulled out that baby tooth I pulled some plug and my gentle boy ran down the drain. Recently he has done things that I never would have imagined were possible for my Gage. I know it is just that he is turning into a kid and starting to be more assertive but it is shocking for me. At soccer he punched a kid because he wanted to win. I'm sure I looked ridiculous with my mouth gaping open. I hardly knew what to do. He told me I was zero pretty and then asked if that made me sad. Almost like he wanted to make me feel bad. He told a kid, that a year ago would have had him running to my side in tears, to "Step aside!" on the playground. I've worried for so long that he would be a door mat all his life because he is so timid and tolerant but I worried in vain. Today he pushed a girl off his chair at church because she pushed him first. Truly uncharted territory for me and I blame it all on the tooth!
p.s. I was just getting ready to hit the publish button when I had to go upstairs and discipline Gage. When Gage came out of time out he said, "Hey, mom? You know how mad you are? That's how sorry I am!" And burst into tears and gave me a big hug. I was feeling a little guilty about the tone of this post so I'm glad I could end on a high note! I guess not all of gentle Gage ran down the drain!

0 comments:
Post a Comment