Monday, September 19, 2011

Summer Round-up and Back to School

So, I'm not awesome at blogging lately.  They say a picture is worth a thousand words so I went through my pictures to remind me about what has gone on for the last month.  Here are some highlights....

 
We spent a lot of time in the mountains this summer.  Is there anything better?



Claire is obsessed with horses and that is where it pays to have a friend who is a bonna fide Cowgirl as your friend.  Andrea took us to meet her horse Sampson.  When we went into the stable, Gage said, "ohh, I love the way it smells in here!"  That tickled my dad because whenever we drove to his home town in Idaho he always rolled down the window to smell the country air.  Country air to me smells like poo but to Dad and Gage it smells good.  Go figure. 




Claire and Maisey were too scared to ride Sampson.  He is a big boy. 



Sampson really liked Luke to pet his nose. 



Gage was unsure at first but he took it like a man.  I want to be Andrea when I grow up!


That pretty much sums up Summer except one last picture.....



Claire starting throwing whole body fits this summer.  I call them her Road Kill Tantrums.  I think she wanted a sucker and when she didn't get one this is what she did. 

That brings us to Back to School!  This year was a great back to school year.  The last couple of years have been full of firsts.  New schools, full days etc.  This year everything felt comfortable.  Gage and Luke were comfortable and  knew what they were doing and so did I.  It was a much needed break in the stress department. 



Gage didn't want new clothes.  Just new shoes.  He chose them himself. 



Gage is apparently old enough to be embarrassed by my very presence.  Especially with a camera.  Oh, the horror.  Can you see it on his face?  How dare I try to take a picture while he lined up for his first day of 2nd grade.  What will his friends think?  Gasp.  I don't think his friends mind but what do I know....I'm just a mom!



Luke doesn't mind if I'm around.  In fact, he asked me to walk him to the door.  I know, give him a few years and that will change.  I'll enjoy it while I can!

Next comes Fall Soccer.  Luke is playing on his first team.  I wish I could say he is loving it.  I think he likes to be with the other kids and he likes to run, kick, block and the uniform is always good.  What he does not like is this guy's constant yelling.....


Obviously neither do I.  While not the most flattering picture of me it does sort of say it all in terms of my feelings toward a dad who thinks that it is appropriate to yell non stop at not only his son but all the other players to the point that poor Luke when he comes out of the game came over to me and said, "Who is in charge of my team?"  Poor thing is so confused because the coach will say one thing and helicopter dad will yell, in an infinitely louder voice, something else entirely.  It sort of drives me up the wall.  Come to think of it though, right after Tim snapped this photo and I made some snide comments, not quietly, about how he needed to calm down and shut up he hasn't been back.  Hmmm.


Pretty cute. 

Bike rides have become a family favorite in the last few months.  Gage is finally good enough to ride up all the steep hills in the neighborhood.  Flat ground is hard to come by in this neighborhood.  I resurrected my old bike and I had forgotten how fun it is to ride.  Tim had been hauling Luke and Claire in a trailer and it was getting really heavy and they were practically sitting on top of each other.  My friend loaned us her tandem bike for Luke and he is loving riding along with me.  It is a full on work out for me and the tandem bike seems to bring joy to all who see it.  Every time we are out people stop us or smile so big as they pass us in their cars.  We are loving it.  


What I am not loving is how fat I look in this picture.  The ruffles on that shirt look really cute when I am standing up straight...when I am bent over it is doing nothing for the physique.  Ewww, or the jeans for that matter.  P.S.  Luke wears a helmet....just not for the picture.

2 comments:

Smilin' sunshine said...

The kids are growing up so fast! They are too cute!

Andrea said...

Sampson is in Idaho to be sold. I'll bring back a new (smaller) pony in the spring and we'll try again with the girls.