Last month I devoted myself to all things Jane Austen. She was one terrific writer. Do you think when this life is over that I can request to just to Jane Austen? I think we could be friends. I've now read her entire complete works because I think there are a few books she didn't finish and there are still her journals. Here is how I rate her books:
#1 Pride and Prejudice.
This story never gets old. Elizabeth Bennett is such a great character. I love her wit and Tim loves her cleavage in the BBC movie version. Heck, even I'm a little impressed with her bosom. She is the idyllic heroine.
#2 Emma
Emma is such a close second to P & P but just can't quite beat it out. Emma is funny and clueless and really has a good heart. I love that Mr. Knightly brings her back to earth.
#3 Mansfield Park
Fanny Price is such a weird heroine, but one that only Jane Austen could make work. She has no physical strength but you contrast that with her moral strength and you've got an awesome heroine. This one is not as funny as the first two but Mrs. Norris is a fun study in hypocrisy. The love story in this one really leaves much to be desired and yet I'm satisfied with the novel on a whole.
#4 Persuasion
Again, given my mood, you could switch Persuasion and Mansfield on any given day. Persuasion is unique because the heroine in this novel has made a big mistake. And the hero holds it against her. I love it! By the end she more than proves herself worthy of Captain Wentworth. I really like the BBC version of this novel.
#5 Sense and Sensibility
This one was so difficult for me to get through. I think because she has a split heroine. The Dashwood sisters together make a good heroine but separately there isn't much I admire. The movie with Hugh Grant really helped me put the puzzle together and I think if I had seen the movie first and then read the novel I would have liked it better. That is almost never the case that I like a movie better than book.
#6 Northanger Abby
This is where things get dicey. I liked Northanger a lot. It is a quick read. Shallow. Lighthearted. But how to compare it to the other Austens? I can't. It gets the 6th position out of default. I think that Jane must have been on a bender when she wrote this novel. Catherine is one dimensional and dumb and easily controlled. I don't love that. But she is lovable. Like a big dumb golden retriever. I can't help but like her.
I am officially worn out with Jane Austen. But I feel so smart when I read her novels and then I start saying words like, indeed, scruples, and shocking in my every day language and it gives me a little kick to the day.

3 comments:
Whoa! Cleavage? I don't remember saying that! I like her cause she is funny and cause she doesn't take peoples crap.
I am a fan too, of the books, I don't think I have seen the movies. Maybe I will have to watch them~
Well, P&P is my fave, but I'd have to say S&S, then Emma, then Pers. then Mans. Park, then Northanger. (I agree, Northanger is not the best, but wasn't it her first?) I, too, find myself speaking differently. My husband loves it, though! (Course, I have the cleavage to go along with it...)
Post a Comment