Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Hill Air Field Museum


Last weekend we took the boys to the Hill Air Force Base Museum. I learned a few things. First, I know nothing about planes. This kindly WWII vet stopped and started talking to me and he had great stories from his reconnaissance missions on the pacific during the war and he asked me if I had any questions about the planes and I know so little I couldn't even formulate a question. Second, I learned that Tim knows a lot about planes and really enjoys seeing them. Who knew? Not me. Third, that all the boys in my family and possibly all boys in general are drawn to planes like the moth to the flame. When Tim said he wanted to take the boys there I was really skeptical that it would interest the boys. I was wrong. They loved seeing all the planes and bombs (my personal fav) and missiles. The reason I think it might be all boys in general is because when Tim told his family, that we had gone to the museum, at a family dinner the next night, all the men seemed to know all about the planes. It was B2 this and SR something that. Tim felt like he performed a fatherly duty by correcting Gage's thought that all the guns on the planes were laser guns. He had to break the news that laser guns aren't real. At least he has bullets and bombs to put in their place. And, I had to break it to Luke that we couldn't just buy one of the helicopters. I was pleasantly surprised with our trip...we had a real rootin tootin time.
Even Grandpa Burt likes planes.

What could be cooler than sparks?


Grandpa got some first hand knowledge of just how heavy Claire is.




Look at those nerds.



I'm not really taller than Tim.




5 comments:

Sarah said...

How fun! National Air Museum is about an hour away from here. My kids love it too. I get a little bored after a while, but they seem to love looking at all the big airplanes. I think it is a boy thing.

Erin said...

We've talked about going there many times but have never actually done it. Maybe it's time we went! Looks like lots of "guy" fun!

Andrea said...

All boys like planes. I know every guy in my family knows what type of plane what is.

Shantell said...

Kevin's dad actually recovered a few of the planes on the base and he used to work on base designing anti-skid something or others so our tours of the museum take HOURS. The kids love it, but most of it goes over my head. I feel for you.

Smilin' sunshine said...

Looks fun! We've never been there, but everytime we drove by there on our way to somewhere else, I always thought we should stop. The boys would love it! Maybe next time we are in town!