Thursday, February 4, 2010

Adieu White Blankie




My kids are blankie kids. None of them took pacifiers but they have latched onto a favorite blanket....much like their mother did before them. The blankie soothes almost all hurts and is a necessity for sleeping. Gage had his white blankie, Luke has his Dog Blankie, and since Claire can't talk I'll name hers The Pink Blanket. Do you notice that in the last sentence Gage had his White Blankie? My relief society president gave me the White Blankie when Gage was born and he has loved it ever since....loved it so much that he practically loved the top right off it. When he saw the tear beginning he instantly took matters into his own hands and proclaimed that we had to consult Grandma Carol. She can fix or sew or make anything in Gage's eyes. She suggested that we just replace the top, but I felt like if we replaced the top it wouldn't be The White Blankie anymore, so I told Gage I would put it up until Grandma had time to fix it. Well, it's been in my closet for over a month now and he hasn't asked about it. I think that partly he was able to transition to a new blanket that he sleeps with kind of (the adorable boat quilt Carol made for him) but I think mostly he just doesn't need a blanket anymore. I even pointed out The White Blankie in an old photo when it was still white instead of gray and he said, "Oh yeah, that's nice." No emotion. How does that happen? Linus never gave up his blankie like so much trash. I feel like I've lost a good friend. For so many years that blankie was everywhere Gage was. And now....nothing! I guess he is growing up and I don't know why it makes me sad, but it just does.
I took this picture in my closet so he wouldn't see it because I don't know what scares me more....him having a blankie and being too old for it....or him not giving a care when he sees it.

0 comments: