Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Furry Things

I know there are a lot of cat haters out there. Me, I like any animal that has fur. I've sighted this before as a reason that I like Tim. I suspect he may be the missing link or possibly the ever elusive Sasquatch...when he gets older and his body hair turns white I'm going to turn him into the Discovery Channel and say I found the Abdominal Snowman! I think that animals can sense an animal lover. I must put off some primal scent as I have never met an animal that didn't like me and once when I was at Summer Camp I almost got a cotton tail deer to eat out of my hand. I don't have any photographic evidence so you'll just have to take my word for it that I'm practically Snow White. When I was younger I wanted to be a veterinarian and then I realized that it wouldn't just be petting the animal but that I would be cutting them open and putting them to sleep and so I didn't pursue that dream. Both my parents were raised on farms and when they came to the city they brought the philosophy that having an animal is good for children. Boy was it educational, I've seen my share of dogs getting it on and seen puppies and kittens born, one litter on my brother's bed...OK that was gross, and more animal graves than a normal child. For an animal lover in training it was a great childhood.



Yesterday, a gray cat showed up on my doorstep and will not go away. I've tried to tell her that Tim is allergic to cats and that she needs to go home but she is keeping a vigil on my front and side doorstep. She looks hungry and I know if I feed her she will stick around forever but how can I not feed a hungry cat? My inner Snow White is yelling at me to go get some cat food and so is Luke who mistakenly thinks she is a "doog". She's already rubbed our legs which is cat speak for she loves us! I'm in a dilemma and blogging is the only thing keeping me from going out again.

This is a family problem. My dad and oldest sister attract stray animals. My sister's cat, who my brother calls a "dirty bird", showed up on my sister's doorstep knocked up and gave birth on her front porch and Pam kept the "hooker cat" as I like to call her. My dad rescued a stray orange cat that was seriously a walking skeleton and nursed him back to be the fat house cat he is today. I like animals but so far I've drawn the line at germ infested strays. But this cat looks clean and it really isn't even full grown and she doesn't look pregnant. See I'm better than them. Don't tell Tim.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Abdominal Snowman" hehe that is funny.

Not to be confused with the "Abominable Snowman".

We're like cousins he and I.

Jess said...

You're not better than me because you can google...I mean spell abominable...and I can't.

BugHunter said...

I like cats, they taste just like chicken.

How cruel would it be to Tim to encourage a cat to stick around. I'm allergic too, so I could never come over again. :D

Jess said...

That does it. I'm keeping the cat!

Smilin' sunshine said...

You are right!! Ido think that is yucky!! You know how I am with animals. There is no way you can keep that cat. You don't know where its been!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm right around the corner and I've got cat food. Let me know if you want any! He, he, he!

Live Deliberately said...

I-man still uses the blanket that Patty had a litter of cats on 20+ years ago. It is his favorite blanket. Those grandmas know how to put together a blanket. No sewn by a 3 year old in China Walmart stuff.

I think Tim only wants you to believe that he is allergic to cats. That way he won't have cats around. What is my evidence? I once saw him do a magic trick for a cat that would blow your ever-lovin' mind.

Feed the cat. Keep it outside, where all animals belong and Tim will be fine. The busy street just to your West will take care of things before long.

Personally I like cats. The reason why I won't ever have one, at least until Squeaker talks me into it, is that crappy cats outnumber cool cats 100 to 1. If you get a crappy cat, which you most certainly will, you are stuck with it for 15 years. Charlie anyone?

Seth said...

I was just pondering which would be more ferocious: Abdominal Snowman (which would have to be mostly torso, perhaps a very strong, and apparently grey or white, torso). Or Abominable Snowman, which, as I know from the many times I've seen "Monsters Inc.", is actually not fond of the name and has no idea why it was given to him--though he is large and apparently did enough bad things to be banished from the Monster world. I don't know what to say. I think it's a toss up.

heather said...

I had to laugh when I read this post because I married into a family of animal lovers who adopt every animal that shows up on their doorstep and I am allergic. I have learned to suck it up though because we will never not have a dog. I must admit they are hard to resist when they're cute.