In February Gage went on a winter camp with the scouts. They slept in ice caves and went ice fishing. From the moment I found out about the camp I became like a broken record rehearsing all the dangers of cold, icy water, and not thinking for yourself. The prospect of "pack thinking" when it comes to the scouts really freaks me. Boys' IQ seems to go down proportionally to the number of scouts involved. The last thing I said to Gage when I dropped his off at the ward was, "Please don't fall through the ice and die." Gage promised he wouldn't and bounded out of the car.
I was worried all that night and the next day. I worried if he was warm enough and if he was being smart around the lake. When he got home, the moment he walked through the door I could tell something was up and Tim said something like, "Well, tell your mom." At this point I thought Tim and Gage were conspiring to trick me. Gage said, "Well....I fell through the ice." I said, "Whatever!" Then I looked closer at his face and it hit me that he was serious! I had visions of hypothermia and near death experiences but as the story unfolded the only thing that kept me from bursting out laughing was that Gage felt so horrible about it.
I think this pic was taken pre-fall in. Gage loves to sled so the trip wasn't all bad! There is a special place in heaven for Scout Leaders.



0 comments:
Post a Comment