In January Gage entered the science fair at his elementary school and his project was selected to move onto the district fair. The district fair was a little more intense because parents weren't allowed on the judging floor and he had to present his project to three judges. When he came to me after it was over he said he didn't think he would be moving on.
(Looking sharp at the District Fair)
(District Award Ceremony)
The SLVSEF Fair was really fun but it made the district fair look like child's play! This was intense. He and I rode Trax up to the campus and he was there all day. Again, parents where not allowed and he was competing against some really amazing projects. About a month had passed since he had last presented his project and I think he felt nervous. As we arrived at Rice Eccles Stadium I suddenly realized that I should have prepared him a little better and so I started cramming with him. I think it made him more nervous. His project was awarded an "Idea Generator" award by the special judges during pre-judging but he did not earn a fair award. Nevertheless, I think it was such an accomplishment to advance as far as he did and I think the whole experience was a good one.
We had to go the day before and set up Gage's project. Claire and Luke were good sports to tag along. The stadium offered a beautiful view of the valley.
I am selfie challenged. We took this while we were waiting at the Trax station. Claire got to miss school and go to lunch with Tim and I while Gage was at the fair. She loved riding the train.
A week before the Science and Engineering Fair we found out that Gage's art teacher submitted his artwork for consideration in the Sandy City Art Show. His piece was one that was chosen to be displayed in the show. While we were walking around the art show looking for Gage's piece it stuck me that he had become quite the Renaissance Man. Scientist and artist. This cute girl his age came up to him and asked him if he used chalk on his piece and he told her he had used pastels and she told him it was, "Awesome dude!" I was laughing inside watching him interact with her and blush and I realized that he is growing up and impressing girls had never occurred to him before. I'm sure that will change faster than I want it to.
Also last week, our teenage neighbor surprised his parents with a haunted house he had created in their backyard. Complete with chainsaw, fake blood, music and the like. The kid had also passed out flyers to every kid in his middle school. (Long suffering parents in my opinion!) Gage loves Halloween and all things scary and he was desperate to be part of the cast. He put on this costume and asked me to text this picture to the boy in charge asking if he could use him. I thought it showed initiative. The boy was kind enough to invite Gage to be a part of the show. He was giddy with excitement over making kids scream, staying out late, and hanging with teenagers. The owner and operator decided to run it again a second night and came to our house to ask Gage to do it another night and asked him to bring his other costumes. He was on cloud nine. He is quite the combination if you ask me!








0 comments:
Post a Comment