Well, we have officially survived Gage's first week of 1st grade. As you can tell Gage is just thrilled to have his picture taken to document the first day. I know other people have all day Kindergarten so I guess I should just count myself lucky that I got to put off this inevitability for one extra year.
Confession # 1: I cried every day I dropped him off.
Confession # 2: I have really enjoyed the quiet while Luke and Claire both took naps and I love the routine.
Confession # 3: I look at his schedule multiple times a day to figure out what he is doing.
Confession # 4: I have written him a love note on his napkin everyday and he loves it and I love that he loves it.
Confession # 5: When his eyes fill up with tears and he says he is going to miss me as he is getting out of the car; it is all I can do to smile and not whisk him away and not let him see me cry.
Confession # 6: I can see him changing with each day and I'm equal parts excited and sad.
Confession # 7: I get excited each time it is time to go pick him up.
Confession # 8: I know he loves school and is so ready to learn that I will not let one mist of tears cover my eyes next week!
Since Luke can't make his confessions I will have to make him for him....
Confession # 1: Luke absolutely loved not having to compete with his brother on the first day of school. He ate it up.
Confession # 2: Luke loves that Gage isn't around to watch his toys so he gets to play with them.
Confession # 3: Luke loves that now he can pester the living crap out of his little sister.
Confession # 4: Luke loves being the "big brother" for 7 hours a day.
Confession # 5: All the previous confessions wore out their welcome by the second day and he misses his brother dearly.
Watching the boys' reunion each day really warms my heart. They are so excited to play together that they don't fight at all. Luke says multiple times a day, "I wonder what my Gagey is doing at school right now?" The first trip we took sans Gage I said, "Ok, Guys lets get out of the car." Luke took deep offense at this and informed me I am not to say guys any more because Gagey is at school. By the third day, Luke's little mournful voice came from the back seat, "I really wish I could go to school with Gage."
Gage is in love with 1st grade. He loves being with his peers. He loves learning. He loves having two recesses a day and that he gets to eat lunch at school. I love hearing stories from his day that make me proud of him. Today he told me he shared his "sneaky snack" with his friend because he didn't have one. He hopes I don't mind. By the way, a sneaky snack is a snack they encourage the kids to eat at their first recess so they won't get too hungry before lunch.
On the first day he told me about his friend Joel, who he knew from Kindergarten, who was crying because he missed his mom. I asked what the teacher did and Gage said Joel was hiding it from his teacher so Gage went to Joel and asked him if he went to church. Well Joel doesn't go to church and Gage was going to suggest that he pray, "but since he didn't know how I did it for him and he stopped crying!" Such is the faith of Gage. That kid says 1 million prayers a day and they all seem to be answered just how he wants.
Luke and I? We think he is one special 1st grader.


4 comments:
Awesome...too bad I'm not ever letting my kids go to school.
Oh Jess, that was the sweetest post ever. Gage is so grown up and it is so wonderful that he and Luke have such a great relationship.
Mason and Jotham are in the middle of concocting a "secret" letter for Gage that involves lighting fire to "crack the code!" Such boys I tell you!!
My heart is breaking, that was such a sweet post! Helping his friend say a prayer! I love it!!!
what a sweet story....i'm entering this phase right now. E cried and cried on W's first day of school, but when she sees him at the end of the day all they can do is hug and play soooooo nice together-- it's an added bonus that I wasn't expecting from their seperation.
I love that you write a note on his napkin--i'm totally stealing that idea! :)
Post a Comment