Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Claire's Blessing


Claire's blessing was on Sunday and it was so fun because my sissy Rach and her girls and my bro Nate and his family were in town from out of state. After the blessing we had everyone over to our house for a luncheon. Despite my stress that made me rude, sorry Rach, the luncheon turned out really good, and everyone seemed to like the food. We had scones, that I set out to raise at 4 am Sunday morning, with honey butter and freezer jam, fruit, quiche, and muffins. Claire looked so beautiful and was thankfully sleeping during the blessing. I always worry that the kid will scream! When I started looking at blessing dresses I could not believe how expensive they are and how elaborate. They look like mini-wedding dresses which is weird somehow. I wanted a long white dress but I didn't want it to cost 1/3 of my wedding dress with a 1/16 of the organza. Tim's mom, Carol, offered to sew one for me and finding the pattern turned out to be quite the ordeal. My mom helped me choose a pattern and some fabric and I ended up choosing just a regular dress pattern that we elongated. The pattern was originally released in 1948 and looked so classic to me.
My sister gave me the most adorable matching bracelets for Claire and me to wear. Mine has a heart charm with a key hole in it and Claire's has the key.
The final product was just what I wanted and I love that so many pieces of the dress have meaning and I hope that Claire thinks of it as a keepsake. I further love that it cost $15 total!
Tim drew a flower design on the front of the dress with a quilting pen and I embroidered the pattern with some white floss that my Mom's mom gave me. Carol had purchased some lace while she was in Belgium a long time ago and she used it to embellish the sleeves and the hem, and the buttons on the slip came from Tim's Grandma's button box.

I cut some buttons off my wedding dress and used them for the buttons on the back. It was so much fun to dress her up and I appreciate everyone helping to make her blessing day special.

4 comments:

Erin said...

This dress turned out beautiful!!! If I had a girl it is exactly something I would make- good job!

Anonymous said...

How beautiful and special! I love the simplicity of it. That is definitely the the dress you frame in a little box so she can show her children. Hope all is well.

Smilin' sunshine said...

The dress is beautiful! So is Claire! Wish we could have been there!

SLC / Portland Webbs said...

Jessica it was truly a great day!!!!! It was so fun being at your house all day long and just hanging out with the cousins. Watching Nate try to take a nap on your couch was fun because the kids would just not leave the poor man alone. This trip was special because our kids did so much bonding and hanging out. My girls keep asking if we will ever move back to Utah? I am sure that is because of the family we always have such a good time.

I told Tim on Sunday but, he really gave the most amazing blessing and I am glad Pam wrote the whole thing down for you.
R-