Thursday, April 3, 2008

I Would Like to Mail This Please

I went to the post office today. Since my family members are leaving the state at an alarming rate I've been doing that a lot lately and it never fails to be an illuminating experience of inefficiency. Allow me to set the scene for you. When I walked in the door the line was past it. Gage was dressed like Spiderman with winter boots on and Luke was thankfully strapped in the stroller. Gage was saying, he hates errands and I was threatening him that if he ran away he would be in big trouble. The guy behind me was alternating between breathing down my neck and telling Gage to stop sucking on the blinds tassel. (he was apparently calling the Green Goblin) Gage was openly defying the man in the nice suit (and me for that matter) in favor of flirting with a lady ahead of me in line and showing her how to throw webs. I got out my binoculars and saw a sea of "This Window is Closed" signs. The two slack jawed people who I can only assume were postal workers were talking and moving so slow that I feel positive they shared a brain and could only move when the other one was still. In the 15 minutes I stood in line they helped a total of 2 people. Not each...I mean between 2 workers 2 customers were served. Now I get it that the mail never sleeps but can it be that complicated to slap some tape on a box and put it in the right bin? With at least 8 people in line waiting they decide this is a great time to take a break and one puts up his "This Window is Closed" sign!?!? Thankfully the lady I like, because she actually works and is very friendly, came back on shift (I'm telling you I go a lot and she knows me) and she helped 3 people in the same time it took Zippy the Wonder Slug to help one person. But what do you do? This is a classic example of gross government inefficiency.



Now I ask you are these the people you want running your healthcare? Nothing could be more retarded and costly than when the government gets involved. This one trip to the post office is my prime evidence against universal healthcare being touted by the liberal left. As opposed to the liberal right..i.e. John McCain. I am disgusted with Healthcare and I think the system is completely and utterly broken but I'll take what we've got over socialized medicine any day! Under universal healthcare everyone will be covered....it will be totally crappy but everyone will have it and won't that be great because we know that misery loves company.

7 comments:

Erin said...

Boy oh boy! I have spent a lot of time at the post office myself lately. I have learned, after many awful experienced, that the time of day is all the difference. I try to get there before noon. There is a really nice guy there who always helps me, especially with my overseas packages, and he's funny, too! By the Way, did you know you can't send horror comic books to the U.K? Not like I was trying to, but it's nice to know these things!

Live Deliberately said...

We are jealous. You must send a lot of stuff to the Northwest Contingent :).

Jess said...

Live Deliberately - I didn't know the post office was so inept that you haven't gotten any of my packages.

Andrea said...

I don't mail stuff that often, but have you tried the UPS store. Maybe you should support capitalism instead of the gov't. It's generally more efficient.

BugHunter said...

I agree with all of it.

With that out of the way. Who here knows where the phrase "Zippy the Wonder Slug" comes from?

Hint: One of the funniest episodes of one of my favorite sit-coms.

Jess said...

Night Court!

SLC / Portland Webbs said...

I love the look on Gage's face! He looks like a serious super hero. Also, thanks for the sacrifice at the post office for you niece. The anticipation of that letter and package is like waiting for Christmas. I'll let you know how Flat Stanley goes over on Tuesday. I never go to the post office I always go to the UPS store now. Try it next time.
R-