Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Where did June Go?


President Mckay's Family Home

June seemed to pass me by in a flash.  The kids went to school later into June this year and the day after they got out I was on my way to Youth Conference.  The conference was held in Huntsville UT, where President David O Mckay was born and raised, and we spent time at his family home doing service.  I left the conference thinking that President Mckay was the Man.  We had nightly fireside's and one was given by one of his secretaries and she had great stories to tell.  One guy who came, brought $10,000 in cash and let the kids handle it and the point of his fireside was, "Would you sell your testimony of Jesus Christ for $10,000?"  Obviously, we all said no but he pointed out that we sell it for much less everyday in lots of little ways.  It was very thought provoking and left me wanting to do better.



Some of President Mckay's Family live next door to the house he was raised in and I thought it looked like it could be a post card.  So beautiful.  

After I got home I thought, "Ok summer is here!"  Um, not so much.  For the next week and a half someone in our family was either barfing or getting over barfing.  It was good times for sure.  And then I left for Girl's Camp.  Camp was fun although I use the word camp very loosely.  We had a large cabin complete with big screen TV, hot tub, and granite counter tops.  We were joking that it should have been called Girl's Spa Retreat. 

I got home from camp on the 30th and I wondered what in the world happened to June?  All I know is that somewhere in there Gage finished 1st grade, Claire turned 2 and the next day Gage would be 7, and my upstairs was painted the most heavenly shade of grey with no chair rail.  Double Yea!!!   



In spring a bunch of women from the hood signed up to do a 5K Dirty Girl run at Wheeler Farm and although it is totally unlike me I signed up to do it with them.  We dressed in white shirts and decorated our shirts to say, "Another mom bites the dust."  and on the back, "Another one down...."  Oh my word, I had so much fun.  I didn't run the whole time (gotta work on that) but it was a blast getting dirty and being with the girls.  Lots of people say how much they love to exercise, which I frankly find so odd, but after the run I had this feeling in my chest like my lungs had been working....a lot....and if felt really good.  I guess that is what they mean?  I'm signed up for another 5k in October that I'm doing with Tim and my sisters and Gage.  Did I totally just rock your world?  It just rocked mine.
 

This post race pic is missing my white tube socks. I had to throw them and my shoes away. My shorts at one point were baby blue. 


And then comes the 4th of July.  I love the 4th!  Even though I never seem to find my decorations until after the holiday has passed.  Don't let my lack of decoration fool you...the 4th is one of my favs.  I love parades, fireworks, and family.  There is nothing more beautiful than the old stars and bars and bands and I could just go on and on.  But I'll stop now.  
 







The kids got a mother load of candy at the parade.  Sorry for the lame picture.  A photographer I am not.  



 Claire was afraid of the sirens on the fire trucks.  Grandma is helping her out. 

        

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a busy Summer and Happy Birthday to Gage!! Mason, Quincy, and I were watching old home videos the other day and we came across a long clip of Mason and Gage when they were 4, plotting how to get rid of the mothers! It was so adorable. They said things like, "We can put her in a garbage can, and then fly up to space with our super powers..." The clip was about 5 minutes long with their little imaginations reeling.

So I had such a funny emotion come over me, reading about your 5k. First, way to go girl, that is so fun!! Second, it was so weird to have this feeling of jealousy when I saw you with your "new" ward friends. I know so silly, right? Of course we have new friends and different lives, but it still just made me miss you a little more!!

Happy Summer!