Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Love Triangle

This week I have gotten a glimpse of what my boys are going to be like in their teenage years and frankly it is turning my hair white. There is an 8 or 9 year old girl who lives across the circle from us and she is often killing the time, waiting for her mom to come home, by playing in her front yard. Sometimes she wanders over to our yard to talk....more accurately stand and smile sweetly because she is so shy! Anyway, Gage is always on the look out for Arianna only he calls her Rianna and Luke calls her Launa. Both the boys flirt outrageously with her and follow/chase her every where she goes. They funny thing is I think she likes to comes over to talk to Tim because she only comes over when he is out and he is so cute with her.

Yesterday we were having a picnic dinner in the backyard and Gage must have known it was about the time we see Arianna because he kept up a vigil at our back gate looking for her. When she made her appearance Gage was so excited and yelled to us that Arianna had cute clothes on today. Indeed she did have cute clothes on...a cute sundress over jeans. Both boys bailed on us in favor of the front yard so they could look and chase and talk to Arianna. Luke was especially into her last night and I looked over in time to see him sort of petting her dress then when he saw me he grabbed the hem and pointed to her and said, "She cute!" I'm sure you can picture his sweet voice and batting eyelashes but he was turning on his inner Romeo! Then Gage pipes up, "She's not cute her clothes are" Tim and I both disagreed and said that we thought she was cute. Gage then said quietly, "I think she is cute too!"

The chasing and the talking and the coy smiles directed at Tim lasted for a little while longer and then Gage picked some dandelions for Arianna. I think it is time I practice my "Stay away from girls their evil!" speech. (if you've seen The Water Boy with Adam Sandler you know the reference) Actually it was quite charming to watch even though Arianna has a crush on my husband and is getting the "flowers" I usually get from Gage!

2 comments:

SLC / Portland Webbs said...

This post made me LOL. I can just picture the whole thing. Red has a crush on one of my friends husband. They are young and don't have any children so they both adore the girls and play with them. I just got LuLu to admit out loud that she thinks Zac Efron is cute. I love the shout out to Adam, what a funny movie.
R-

Anonymous said...

We LOVE Arianna too. She is a pretty little thing. We get together with her parents every once in a while. They are such a neat family. I am sure Gage and Luke look adorable batting their eyelashes at her. So fun!