I recently had an argument with my sweet sister-in-law about global warming. Basically my feelings on the subject can be summed up as follows. It is one of the most insidious hoaxes that has ever been pushed on the American public. If you don't agree you can really spare me all the polar bear crap and the line about if the earth doesn't survive then we won't either. I love the earth I believe God created it for our use and he expects us to take care of it and be good stewards. To be honest I have no idea whether the burning of fossil fuels is causing the earth to warm but I believe in priorities and if Iran nukes us or Israel, or more realistic our economy collapses when China calls in our foreign debt or the like we really won't have the luxury about worrying if we are green enough and if our pants are made out of organic hemp or whatever. Here's the thing. The people who are pushing this whole green trend...and yes I think it is a trend that will fade just like Tab and wall bangs...are making money and pushing all kinds of ridiculous so called fixes to "save the earth." Most of the environmentalists care more about polar bears than human life and next they will tell me that I'm a vegetable killer and that really the earth would be better off if I just laid down in my hemp clothes and died and fertilized the earth so the flora and fauna won't be disturbed by my existence. I know that is extreme but the whole thing fires me up.
I also had an argument with my sister about those new light bulbs. My problem was that they contain mercury and the same people who tell me that I have to buy one, if I care about the planet, are the same people who freak out if they find a trace of mercury in a fish! The hypocrisy kills me. Anyway, my sister didn't believe me when I told her they contain mercury and she said, "who told you that Rush Limbaugh." I was lover not a fighter that day and sweet justice is mine. Ahem. A friend sent Tim this youtube, http://youtube.com/watch?v=e-LOtKIIKcg, about the new light bulbs and I wanted to share. I guess light bulbs need to be added to my food storage list. And please please please realize I love the earth, really I do. It is beautiful and one of God's creations. If I could fit my arms around the earth I'd give it a big hug. I do think we should take care of it I just questions the methods. Seriously though, the frickin’ geniuses in Washington are spending our tax dollars telling me what kind of light bulb I have to use when they should really be concentrated on a million more important issues that are in the scope of the federal government. I'm just representin'
Thursday, July 10, 2008
Love the Earth. Hate the Lightbulbs.
Posted by Jess at 2:01 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I love to read your blog because I can hear you saying your post in my head the entire time I read it. You write EXACTLY how you speak on a subject. It's hilarious. I love hearing Jess get all fired up!
I agree with you. Although I did buy the reusable Harmon's bags and feel the warm fuzzies run over me when I use them. Is that embarassing?
I agree!!!!! Although,I, too, bought the re-usable bags. Now I just need to remember to take them into the store with me. (I've only done it once, I was so proud of myself!)
I say, God is in charge, and he made this world for us, and he wants us to focus on keeping the commandments. I don't remember one of them being "Thou shalt use longer-lasting light bulbs", do you?
I totally agree with you! I have a whole stash of these light bulbs on top of my fridge because I don't know how to dispose of them. Anyone know where I can take them? Love the new pic at the top of your blog! Your boys are super cute!
I use my plastic grocery bags to pick up dog poop. I personally don't want to stop with the lightbulb. Ridiculous as it sounds from someone who doesn't have TV, I'm ticked about the force to HD. How dare they force us to use a light bulb that's not superior and TV that has blue splotches in it. Down with the Man.
Shantell, I think you find a list of receptacles on the EPA's website.
I believe some of the environmental stuff and don't believe other parts. The way environmental arguments reach me is by putting them in an economic context.
The economic future of our country has to be to become the leading producers of alternative (alternative to oil anyway) energy and their associated technologies.
We are currently exporting our nation's wealth to countries that hate us, countries that we wouldn't give a cup of warm mare's spit (Paulism) about if they didn't have black gold under their heaven forsaken sands and jungles.
How can we compete in a global economy? It isn't using slave labor to make worthless crap for pennies that breaks the first time you use it. We cannot compete against the hungry hordes of the developing world. We have to become leaders in energy solutions.
In the 1970s our country was caught flat-footed by the oil embargo. We were driving large rear-wheel drive cars. We learned our lesson for a short time, but then OPEC opened the spigot and undercut all of the technology development. With gas around $1/gallon no one would invest in technologies to replace oil. Then we stupid Americans found that we couldn't get along without big, huge rear-wheel drive cars again (SUVs). It is like a replay of the 1970s. This time it is different. OPEC can't open the spigot again to undercut technology development.
Any oil based solution is bound to be a medium-term solution. I say medium-term instead of short-term because oil development takes a long time. If ANWR and all of the off-shore drilling were opened tomorrow, it would take 10 years for the first barrel of oil to hit the market.
Amen! I couldn't agree more. Ty makes fun of me because I say I am "anti-green". I too love the earch, etc. But this new trend is just rediculous and I'm sick of hearing about it. I think the Earth is constantly warming and cooling, its all part of the cycle of life. There are more important things to worry about like moral issues. A nice rule of thumb that I live by is that if the "liberals" or "hollywood" is endorsing it then I will do the opposite. =)
If any solution could be found, American's will find it. I'm not sure there are enough real American's left to pull the weight, and those of us still around are tired of carrying all of the dead weight. Capitalism and the brilliant technological progress that goes with it, has been all but strangled. Most citizens of the USA aren't Americans, they're Republicans or Democrats...sheep in other words.
So to all the environmentalists I say Baaaaa baaa.
I would not consider myself a "green" environmentalist, but I do enjoy the natural beauty that our environment provides. I do not agree with the republicans that are now pushing to drill for oil in some of the most pristine and beautiful places in the world (Alaska, and other places). I will buy energy saving products, but merely for selfish reasons (I hate paying for utilities). What really kills me is those who capitalize on saving 5 MPG on your car. Jiffy Lube says if you pay this much extra you'll save this much less on gas, but you'll pay me more than you would the gas company. As for the energy saving bulbs, they are a convenient inconvenience. I don't have to change as many light bulbs, I don't have as much extra heat to deal with, and I supposedly pay less to the power company. I haven't had to dispose of one yet (I waited until they were actually affordable) but I can see that being a problem, I had to change out my dimmer switches (they are incompatible), and they cost a bit more up front.
I say if the government really cares that much about the environment, pick up my recycling more often than bi-weekly so I don't have to trow away as much recyclable material. That's a start.
Post a Comment