Monday, February 25, 2008

Tiny Talks

Gage is a Sunbeam and he gave his first talk in Primary on Sunday. He did really well. I was wondering if he would freeze up when he got to the microphone or if he would talk loud enough, but he was really excited and spoke pretty well. They assigned the Sunbeam class the Doctrine and Covenants which was little over his head and difficult for all of them to say but all in all he did good. I just can't believe he is old enough to be doing it. Heck, I can't believe I'm old enough to be helping him. Sometimes I still feel about 14 years old, and then I remind myself that I'm a mom!

So, I started out with the positive stuff from church. Now if you'll indulge me for just a sec (you know with me it won't be just a sec and it will be this really long post. Every time I sit down to post I think, "I'm going to make this short" Ha. like that has ever happened...see there I go again) I'll move onto some more negative feelings from yesterday. Gage has been really excited about going to primary and yesterday seemed no different until we got to the door of his classroom and he had a melt down to end all melt downs. I sat there like an idiot in indecision. I really had no idea what to do. My mom always seemed to know what to do. Maybe she is better at pretending like she knows what to do. He really isn't one for melt downs. Sure he cries when he gets hurt or frightened but this is the first time he has been hysterical for no apparent reason. All he kept saying is, "I want to go home and play." We tried just forcing him and I have never seen him defy an adult before but he was digging in his heels and yelling, "NO!" when the teacher tried to take him to class.

It was truly bizarre and just accentuated my own feelings about church yesterday. If I could've dug in my heels and yelled, "NO!" without looking like a big freak I would have. Afternoon church with kids is such a struggle for me. Actually church with kids is a struggle sometimes. Between keeping them quiet and trying to listen myself I feel exhausted at the end. I just feel pulled in a million different directions on Sunday. I don't feel like I'm doing one thing really well...just a lot of things crappy. Is that too lame? Tim is wonderful to take care of Luke but he has so much on his plate at church too. Although some people treat him like he is a slacker which further riles me. I think our family is just having growing pains and I just long for the feeling of being excited to go to church!

I am determined to end this on a good note. I know that church is where I'm supposed to be on Sunday and even when I feel the spirit for like a split second it makes all the trauma worth it.






Thanks to Gage the neighborhood is now safe from dragons again. The drug dealers...still not so much!

5 comments:

BugHunter said...

Sister Wright. We missed you at choir practice yesterday. (That was mostly for Tim's amusement.) :D

Erin said...

Amen, Amen, Amen!!!! If you read my blog today, it's pretty much the same thing! I think somewhere down the road it gets easier..... oh wait, maybe it doesn't!

Jen said...

I can't believe that Gage was giving a talk yesterday! I swear he is not that old! You should have sent him to nursery to play with Morgan - he would have loved the company! :)

Like every LDS woman with kids, I too ask the same question every Sunday - "Why am I even here at church? Not only am I completely stressed out and incapable of listening to more than one uniterrupted sentence, I am sure (based on my own observation in addition to the various dirty looks we are getting) we are disrupting everyone around us in the process."

At stake conference a few weeks ago, I was there alone, entertaining 2 kids for what seemed like the longest 2 hours of my life, and I figured it out - the reason we do it is to teach our children that even though it is hard, we go to church every Sunday because we love our Heavenly Father enought to do what he has told us to do! I don't know about you, but that little bit of perspective sure makes church easier for me to handle. Still, 4:00 Sunday afternoon never comes fast enough!

Smilin' sunshine said...

Amen to Jen!! Church is still tiring and my oldest is 13. I am not sure it gets easier. Even when you are old I would think there are issues...Can't sit, can't hear, can't breathe!! I agree with Jen that we are teaching our kids what we are supposed to be doing. There is the saying,"I never said it would be easy, only worth it."

Anonymous said...

Ryan and I sat in the back during Primary. We couldn't wipe the big goofy grins off our faces. Who would've thought that listening to your little tyke give a talk or say a prayer would bring that much happiness? I can't wait for the mother's day program! I just know my kid is going to be the one singing the loudest and off key! :)